Lead Developer - Belgium / The Netherlands / Portugal
We’re looking for an experienced teamlead who finds satisfaction in the balancing act between enabling the team to deliver, removing anything that keeps them from doing so and getting their hands dirty themselves with some coding on a daily basis.
The product & engineering team is where we turn problems into solutions. Divided in small independent teams, we are in a constant cycle of identifying what’s keeping our customers from their actual work, coming up with solutions and putting those at their fingertips. Once shipped, we listen to their feedback, adapt and then look at what else we can do to help them!
With development being a big part of your job, you’re probably interested in what you’ll be working with. In theory, we try to pick the best tool for the trade. In practice, we use PHP for most of our backend development and React on the frontend. We keep up to date so we can make use of the latest features & improvements.
- We love containers & use them everywhere: from the local development setup using docker to Kubernetes in our production environment.
- Microservices aren’t the holy grail, but we are introducing them where we feel they make sense.
- Add some Redis, Elasticsearch, MySQL, RabbitMQ … to spice things up
- We’re big CI fans! Our automated tests have saved us numerous times!
What you'll do
As a Teamlead, you’ll be “in charge” of one of our teams and help them to deliver great things.
- Once you get used to the Teamleader way of doing things, you make suggestions to improve on processes, code quality ...
- You’ll use your experience to pinpoint bugs, identify risk and come up with potential solutions
- You take the lead in technical discussions and set them up when you feel the need, both within your team as well as with other teams to come up with solutions for common problems.
- Coaching more junior developers through pair programming sessions, code review... or just by asking them the right questions. Next to this continuous feedback you evaluate their progress and decide on the next steps in their growth path.
Not part of the job description but still really important
You radiate the friendly, positive, can-do mentality that Teamleaders are known for, both inside and outside the company walls. You can give feedback in a polite, positive way and you can handle some feedback as long as it’s given in the same way. You embrace diversity, inclusivity and (e)quality. Basically, you’re nice. Because nice people are cool.
Also important because of practical & legal reasons: you live in Belgium, Portugal or the Netherlands and have a valid EU working permit.
Who you are
As the heart of one of our agile teams (no pressure!), you try to understand our customers’ problems and come up with the best possible solution. You guide your team through all the SCRUM activities and aim to move things forward!
- You bring some experience in managing & scaling web applications, preferably with a stack comparable to (part of) ours.
- DDD, SOLID… If you don’t know these acronyms, at least you have that “oh, obviously!” feeling when you read what they stand for.
- You value your work highly. You strive to deliver the best you have in you, from the first line of code up to deploying your work!
- You value code quality greatly but that doesn’t stop you from finding pragmatic solutions. As long as they don’t jeopardize said quality, that is.
- Your communication skills are on point. Technical within the team, understandable and clear towards stakeholders. You know that transparency is key, even when the message isn’t a fun one to bring.
- You know that a team is only as good as the sum of its parts and you use that constantly. Your decisions are (almost) always the conclusion of a team discussion.
- Managing, leading, coaching or providing your expertise. Leading a team consists of taking up several roles. You recognise when to apply which one.
- You are able to express yourself fluently in English, spoken and written.